The City of Masvingo is committed to providing quality municipal services to its Clients.
To become an industrialised world class Metropolitan City by 2030.
POPULATION AND LOCATION
Masvingo is the Provincial Capital of Masvingo Province with a population of estimated at +/- 100 000 residents: The City is located in the southern province of the country called Masvingo Province and it is the Province’s capital City. It is almost centrally located, as it is equidistant to six major urban settlements in the country namely:
- Harare, the Capital City of the country, which is 293km away to the north;
- Bulawayo, the second largest city in the country, which is 282km to the west;
- Mutare, a border city with Mozambique in the East is 297km away to the east;
- Beitbridge, a border town with South Africa is 289km to the south;
- Gweru, a capital city of the midlands Province West is 183km to the north west;
- Kwekwe, a city in the Midlands Province, is 245km.
About the city of Masvingo
The City of Masvingo derives its name from the national shrine of the country, the Great Zimbabwe National Monument. Masvingo is a Shona (indigenous language) name, which means “Building Made out of Stones”. Although the city itself is some 27km away from the Great Zimbabwe National Monuments, which are structures made up of stones, it is a replica of the Ancient City of Great Zimbabwe in modern form.
The City was resuscitated in 1890 by a British Pioneer Column, which had identified the area as ideal for a capital city of the country, then called Fort Victoria. However, the idea of a capital city was abandoned when the present capital city of Harare was discovered and established. It was then called Fort Charter. The settlement continued to grow until it became a Town Council in 1926 and a Municipality in 1953. It attained city status in February 2002.
OUR CULTURAL HERITAGE
The Great Zimbabwe National Monument is bequeathed with a rich cultural heritage, which is a major tourist attraction both locally and internationally. In its ancient times, the Great Zimbabwe was a city of stone buildings built and occupied between 12th and 15th Centuries. During its peak of power and prosperity in the 13th and 14th Centuries, the ancient city was the largest settlement in Southern Africa with an estimated population of 20 000 inhabitants.
The name of the country, Zimbabwe, was derived from the Great Zimbabwe National Monuments. At the inception of the Second Chimurenga in the early 1960’s, which was a revolution against British Colonial rule, the revolutionary political parties that were formed then to spearhead the revolution adopted the name Zimbabwe, as a national symbol. The Great Zimbabwe National Monuments were viewed as a symbolic pillar of resistance by the progressive forces against colonialism. When the country attained independence in 1980, the name of the country was renamed Zimbabwe from Rhodesia.
At its peak of economic prosperity that is between 13th and 14th centuries, the ancient city was a centre of major economic activities such as livestock farming, crop farming and mining. It became a centre for international trade as exports of agricultural produce and gold and other minerals were made to Asia and other countries in the East.
City Engineer; T. Gozo; 0716 800 134
Director of Housing and Community Services; L. Nzvura: 0772 571 009
Acting Chief Health Officer; N Mapamula: 0772 570 180
Acting Chamber Secretary; V. Shonhai: 0772 360 208
City Treasurer; T Dube: 0772 570 184
Chief Internal Auditor; D. Moyo: 0775 330 291